Altruistic Prophets: Islam and Mormon Similarities
Here is a list of similarities between Muhammad and Mormon prophet Joseph Smith, and their religious doctrines… Quite striking…
- “Modern Mohammedanism has its Mecca at Salt Lake… Clearly the Koran was Joseph Smith’s model, so closely followed as to exclude even the poor pretension of originality in his foul ‘revelations.’” (The Women of Mormonism, Frances E. Willard, 1882, Introduction, p. xvi)
- “The student of Mormonism will be struck with the similarity of experience and claims of Joseph Smith and Mohammed.” (The Rocky Mountain Saints, T. B. H. Stenhouse 1873, p 2)
- “even though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed” Gal 1:8
Similarities between Joseph Smith and Muhammad:
- The followers of Muhammad and Joseph Smith both killed innocent “infidel” on the same date of 9/11. On September 11, 1857, Mormon militia massacred about 140 men, women and children under the authority of Brigham Young. However, 17 very young children were spared and adopted into Mormon families. They were, in fact, sold to the highest Mormon bidder and resold and traded many times afterwards. This event is called “The Mountain Meadows” massacre. Mormon leaders engaged in a deliberate rewriting of history to deny they were behind the massacre. On September 11, 2001, Muhammad’s followers, inspired by teachings of the Koran, sent two airplanes into the World Trade Center killing 3,000 innocent men, women and children. Muslims have attained higher degree in denying the massacre and rewriting history, and preach that actually Jews, not Muslim terrorists, were behind the 9/11 terror attacks.
- Both Muhammad and Joseph Smith were visited by an angel. Joseph Smith was visited by the angel “Moroni”, Muhammad by Gabriel.
- Both were given visions.
- Both were told that ‘no true religion existed on the earth’… In the published account of his life, Joseph Smith related that he became very disturbed when he was a youth because of the “strife among the different (Christian) denominations,” and this “cry and tumult” led him to ask God “which of all the sects were right—and which I should join.” He was told that he must “join none of them, for they were all wrong… that all their creeds were an abomination in God’s sight, that those professors (of faith) were all corrupt…” (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith 2:8-19). N. J. Dawood says that Muhammad was also concerned with the fact that Jews and Christians had “divided themselves into schismatic sects.” In Muhammad’s scriptures, we read: “Yet the Sects are divided concerning Jesus…. Truly, the unbelievers are in the grossest error” (The Koran, translated by N. J. Dawood, Surah 19, p. 34). In Surah 30 (p. 190), a warning appears regarding it: “Do not split up your religion into sects, each exulting in its own beliefs.” In Surah 3, (p. 398), we read: “The only true faith in Allah’s sight is Islam. Those to whom the Scriptures (i.e., Jews & Christians) were given disagreed among themselves through jealousy only after knowledge had been given them.“
- Both were to restore the long lost faith as the one true religion. Islam makes claim that Adam and Abraham were Muslims, a claim as ridiculous as it is undocumented from either history or archaeology. Mormons make the unsubstantiated claim that the churches in the first century were Mormon.
- Both wrote a book claimed to be inspired by God.
- Both claimed to be illiterate or uneducated and used this as proof the book was inspired. “How could an illiterate man write the Koran or the Book of Mormon?” Joseph Smith is claimed to have only grade-three education.
- Both claimed the Bible was lost, altered, corrupted and unreliable.
- Both claimed their holy book was the most correct and perfect on earth.
- Both claimed that their new “Bible” was based upon a record stored in heaven. With Islam, it is the “mother book” that resides in heaven with God. With Mormonism, it is the golden Nephi plates that the angel Moroni took back to heaven.
- Both claim that the versions we have in our hands today are identical to what the prophet revealed and that no parts are lost, altered and corrupted. Of course, the proof that these claims are invalid is found in two books itself. The Mormon claim is proven false by a book called “3913 Changes to Book of Mormon” by Sandra Tanner. The Islamic claim is proven false by a book (in Arabic language) called, “Making Easy the Readings of What Has Been Sent Down” by Muhammad Fahd Khaaruun. Both books show that the copy of the book of Mormon and the Koran used today is different from what was originally used when each religion was started.
- Both claimed to be a final prophet of God.
- Both claimed they were persecuted because of their pure faith.
- Both were polygamists with many wives.
- Both borrowed from paganism/polytheism. Muhammad incorporated the polytheistic moon god called “Allah” and “Allah’s three daughters” into Islam. Basically Muhammad chose Allah from within 360-odd idol-gods, housed in the Ka’ba, that were worshipped in Arabia by the pagans and proclaimed the moon-god to be the greatest God, Allah. Smith borrowed from a doctrine called “pyramidology” and the Masons and other magic systems.
- Both received “corrective revelations” from God. Muhammad retracted the Satanic verses and Mormons retracted Smith’s divine order mandating polygamy. But for Mormons, there is even closer parallels:
“As many false reports have been circulated respecting the following work, and also many unlawful measures taken by evil designing persons to destroy me, and also the work, I would inform you that I translated by the gift and power of God, and caused to be written, one hundred and sixteen pages, which I took from the Book of Lehi… which said account, some person or persons have stolen and kept from me, notwithstanding my utmost exertions to recover it again—and being commanded of the Lord that I should not translate the same over again, for Satan had put it into their hearts to tempt the Lord their God, by altering the words, that they did read contrary from that which I translated and caused to be written; and if I should bring forth the same words again, or, in other words, if I should translate the same over, they would publish that which they had stolen, and Satan would stir up the hearts of this generation, that they might not receive this work: but behold, the Lord said unto me, I will not suffer that Satan shall accomplish his evil design in this thing: therefore thou shalt translate from the plates of Nephi, until ye come to that which ye have translated… I will show unto them that my wisdom is greater than the cunning of the Devil.” (Book of Mormon, 1830 edition, Preface)
Sounds exactly like Muhammad and his satanic verses.
- Immediately after the death of Muhammad and Smith, a fight broke out among the “faithful converts” as to who would succeed them. Both groups were plunged into irreparable division that has endured ever since. Islam and Mormonism both have squabbles among themselves as to who is the one true splinter group of their prophet!
- Mormons, contrary to the Bible, “baptize the dead” by gathering genealogies of all men who lived on earth. This contradicts the Bible: “But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless” (Tit 3:9). While the Bible says avoid focusing in genealogies, the Mormon church makes it their central focus of mission. Mormons have even been criticized for baptizing, by proxy, the Jews, who died in the Nazi Holocaust camps. When lists of genealogies are collected, living Mormons are baptized, on behalf of, those on the lists, who have already died. In this way, Mormons view every man who lived, as being Mormons. In the same way Muslims claim that all men are born Muslims and when they learn the truth of Christianity, they are apostatizing from their first faith. Muslims rewrite history by proclaiming that Jesus and the Apostles were Muslims, which is similar to Mormons’ baptizing the Jews (for example) with the expectation that they will be Mormons in the next life. Yet gathering of large genealogical lists no more makes dead people Mormons in the next life, than rewriting history makes Jesus into a Muslim.
- Both the Islam and Mormon religions have those, who follow the “original doctrine” of the founding leaders, and like these founding leaders, are violent, polygamists and use revelations in justification of their evil actions.
- Both Muslims and Mormons (and Jehovah’s Witnesses) have progressive revelation. JW’s call it “new light”. Muslims call it “Nasikh”. Jehovah’s Witnesses were once instructed to celebrate Christmas, birthdays and salute the flag, but “new light” changed all that. Mormons like all Muslims, were originally polygamists until “The Manifesto” against polygamy came as a revelation to John Taylor, over 40 years after Smith’s death, on the eve of the US government outlawing the practice of polygamy. New revelation always replaces older revelation that became inconvenient to the prophet.
Surah 9:30: “And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!”
Short URL: http://www.archive2012.faithfreedom.org/?p=14559